Tuesday 13 May 2014

Tuesdays Tutorial, for the love of writing

 
This Tuesday Tutorial is a slightly different tutorial, called, For the love of writing...
I hope it will inspire you to do a little bit of writing and to maybe try writing in different ways. Using pens, stamps, letters from magazines and books, you can create lots of different looks with very simple materials.
 
 
It doesn't have to be anything fancy, you could just write a shopping list in a whole new way, so it makes you smile every time you see it.
 
 
I am currently taking a class all about how to be a better blogger, shout out to Holly and Thorsten from Decor8 and Tina from Travelling Mama who have been my teachers. Not forgetting Shelby in Vegas who has been my partner in the class. Her blog is dewdropinteriors.
 
 
I've learnt lots, and identified lots of things we were doing wrong!
 
So this Tuesday tutorial might feel a bit different. I'm not sharing something lovely and impressive I have seen on the web this week (although we will still do that some weeks) but sharing something I have done myself.
 
All the images on this post are my own stuff.
 
The very top picture is of my notes from the Decor8 course I just mentioned.
 
 
 
So why choose for the love of writing?
In the last week I have been writing thank you cards for all the guests that came to my wedding in February. I wanted to make all the cards myself and to write a personal message in each to show people how much I appreciated them travelling and buying gifts and going to all the trouble of being a wedding guest.
 
I think as online becomes more and more encompassing, a handwritten note has so much more impact now.
 
Be honest, when you look at the post, don't you always open the handwritten envelopes first?
 
I think there is an excitement involved in knowing whose handwriting it is, even before you open the letter.
 
So let's celebrate a love of writing.

 
Whether it is hostage style letters ripped from a magazine...

 
Or hand printed letters from an alphabet stamp kit...

 
To printed blocks of type...

 
 
To even crossing out the words in a book you don't want to see...
 

 
To mixing up different types of stamps and handwriting...

 
To writing in capitals and then outlining the letters...

 
To printing with stamps in capitals...

 
To making your handwriting more fancy...

 
To writing normally...

 
To colouring in all the bits where your letters form shapes...

 
To writing lots, in fountain pen...

 
...or in biro.
 
 
This post is to say, just write something.
 
A card, letter, diary post, anything.
 
 
 
Remember...
 

 
 
I've been thinking about words a lot anyway as we have a new creative writing course starting soon called 'Working with Words'.
 
 It's going to be fun!
 
Don't forget we also have a free creative writing course here on this blog that anyone is welcome to try - just look at the top of this blog and you will see a tab for 'Tell Your Story'. It's a free 12 week course and all the lessons are there waiting for you.
 
 
You know I mentioned the course I'm taking above. Well some of the tips included making things more personal, using your own images and saying when things aren't perfect. I'm trying some of these tips out today and would love to know what you think. Good or bad!
 
 
 
I created this post from scratch and thought you might like to see where I did all this. Here is my dining room at home.

 
The sunshine shines in on an afternoon and evening, and it's very peaceful. I can hear the birds. It's kinda messy, but that's me!

 
I don't like the carpet, but you can't have everything. I've lived with it for three years now, sure I will get around to doing something with the floor eventually.
 
 
So that's me.
 
Thanks for reading.
 
 
 
Kirsty

No comments:

Post a Comment