Wednesday 18 June 2014

What do you do when you're having a bad day?




Ah, a bad day. We all have them. I was going to write a post all about displaying books and making things that make you smile all around you but then I had a bad day and it started me thinking.

How can I snap out of this? How can I stop this continuing? Why not share what I did with you.

Firstly the bad day wasn't anything really awful, just a pair of broken trainers, while all the shops were shut and when Pesky (my son) was about to go on a 10 mile walk with school. For some reason this escalated and ended with everyone shouting and upset. Just one of those things really but it put me into a bad mood.

So I was feeling really down. What did I do?

I made a cup of coffee, I put some music on and I pulled out my creative journal. I spent half an hour playing in it and then I re read lots of the pages I had created previously. Most of the pages I create tend to have positive messages to myself. I didn't plan this, it happened unintentionally, but looking back it made me feel so much better.

I sat in the sunshine for 10 minutes and listened to the birds twittering and looked at my plants.

I smiled.

I really lived up to the Make Stuff - Make Life Better part of our tag line.


 
This page says, 'What a wonderful thought it is that some of the best days of our lives haven't happened yet'.

 
This one says 'Happiness is being surrounded but Green, that you have planted and grown yourself'.

 
This one says 'My head is full of travel plans' and this one, while not overly positive helped remind me of the wonderful travel plans coming up!

 
This one is so apt after yesterday's post, so even though it's not really finished I thought I would share it. It says 'Done is better than perfect'.

 
This one says 'I believe in you. You can do the thing.'
 
Do you like the way I've styled the pages by the way? It really helped cheer me up to choose pretty papers, pens and items to surround the pages. I follow this lady on Pinterest and have loved the way she doesn't just show a journal page, but shows what she is using around it so it inspired me to create mini vignettes for these photographs.


So then I started thinking about what other people do? How do they get over a bad day, do they do the same or something different.

I googled it. Turns out there is quite a lot of advice about how to turn a bad day around.

So here are a couple of things I found that helped me too...

A great spoken word video poem called Instructions for a bad day by Shane Coyczan. Another website provided 10 things to do if you are having a bad day, this wasn't as good as the poem but you might not be able to watch a video at the moment, so here is a written list of things to try. Then finally I found this, an inspirational talking to about how to cope with a bad day. At first I thought this would be a bit cheesy and 'motivational' if you know what I mean but it was a great video full of top tips!

If you have any other tips for how to cope with a bad day please let us know.

My bad day has gone.


Thanks for reading,



Kirsty

No comments:

Post a Comment